Tuesday 7 May 2013

Yes, Yes, YES!!!! GETTING TO YES, AND CLOSING THE DEAL - How I would negotiate for an ideal job offer






I have just read a fantastic Stanford University overview for negotiating effective conditions within medical research laboratories: http://med.stanford.edu/careercenter/management/Negotiation_Skills_MA_JMK_2_16_06.pdf

Though I am not an expert in negotiation theory, I do feel there are generic elements to negotiating practical outcomes in life and the workplace. Below, I outline my general feelings regarding my "ideal" job scenario and how that could relate to closing the gap between an employer's wants and my acceptance of an offer of employment.

*I am intrinsically motivated. I want to add value for any mission I believe in, and add value for those around me.

*I love to grapple with new problems. I am not deterred by a challenge, and will more than happily take up extra tasks to reach a complete solution.

*Take me or leave me, to an extent. I take culture seriously and, whereas I may be an unconventional candidate, I will look for exceptional solutions to growth problems, not the nearest approach to hand or necessarily the one in the textbook.

*If you want to innovate, with appropriate guidance, I'm definitely your man and will drive innovation as far as it can go with good people around me.

*I do need mentors and wise-heads around me. I value the experience of those who have "really done it" before. Show me what to learn and I'll learn it.

*I love to share ideas. I'm not a hoarder.

*I love to think about strategy and operational compexity. For me, simplifying corporate systems and market strategies would be thouroughly engrossing. I want to help you find the best way to win.

*Compensation's an issue, but not the substantial core of what I will do for you. I'd request you to submit a fair and honest offer. And then I'm happy to discuss. There should be value on the table for all..

[All for one and one for all?....]


~

Addendum

 
"People think of negotiating power as being determined by resources like wealth, political connections, physical strength,friends, and military might. In fact, the relative power of twoparties depends primarily upon how attractive to each is the option of not reaching agreement."(Getting to Yes, Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In)


"From Style to Effectiveness"
 
Traits of an effective negotiator

•A willingness to prepare
•High (but not unreasonable) expectations
•The patience to listen
•Willingness to consider the other side’s interests
•A commitment to personal integrity'

No comments:

Post a Comment