Sunday 19 May 2013

FILLING THE VACUUM: "STAND UP, MADAMS/SIRS" NOT DOWN

Paul Keating said, "John Howard is the Policeman at the scene of every crime". Whatever your politics, Australia does not need more policemen.

Actual policemen are critical to our democracy; the national traffic cop is not.

For years, I have worked in entry-level roles - now I see why. From a relatively privileged background, I suspected I had not seen the whole story. And I needed to know why?

Indeed I hadn't. So flunking law school meant cutting out of the privileged loop to understand our country's real malaise: a leadership vacuum..

Throughout our businesses, people struggle to manage increasing demands - from consumers, from stakeholders, from government, from their peers - without the tools to do so.

I have seen every species of dreadful management - people who can't or don't understand how to lead..

And I have seen enormous generosity and enthusiasm; and, yes, creativity.

I am not perfect: I am so terribly imperfect. But I want to learn from others. Not get angry with them. I want to watch fellow Australians succeed.

I may be green, but I want to learn to lead. Maybe, psychically, I've graduated from the entry-level stage?

No comments:

Post a Comment