Monday 3 February 2014

INTER-GENERATIONAL WAR & PEACE

I confess, I'm writing this piece in anger.. I have a very tense relationship with my parents: I always have. In many respects, they represent, to me, the ultimate Bourgeois lifestyle.

And I see now, from a certain perspective, they're an instance of inter-generational enmity.

From as far back as I can remember, they have represented the commandment, ''Thou shan't''; ''Thou canst'': I've never been good enough to achieve anything for them.

~
You're not good at law; you can't talk about economics, you haven't studied it; you're not special; you're not a nice person. Followed by the good cop routine, ''We care'', "We'll spend money on it''.

The world has changed since 197-? Mom and pop don't have all the answers. They never did. I just wish they could accept that I know that, and build from there..

No comments:

Post a Comment