Thursday 17 November 2011

A GLOBAL PROJECT: IMAGINING PAX GLOBALIS



In light of Obama's recent visit to Australia, I think a more critical paradigm is in order. We have to look to the future..

I am particularly intrigued by China's 'new strategic concept' and the imperative, I think, toward expanded and 'expansive' regionalisation.

As an ideal, I would advocate Malraux's 'musee imaginaire' which would trace a harmonious cultural construct - even better - 'community' within the Asia-Pacific. Australia is in the 'East Asian Hemisphere', as Gareth Evans is fond of saying.

Ultimately, I see the need for a 'grand bargain', a meta-narrative of progress toward a normative harmony conceived in mutual amity and respect. China and Australia, I am convinced, should be friends. It is in our mutual interest to be so..

I see the imperative for a Summit of the Nations, not just the hegemons. In this respect, I would allude to the Indian 'Advaitist' philosophy of Oneness, which need not, however, lead the Asia-Pacific region (fruit of so many hopes) to a sterile political monism. (That would be impolitic).

Peace, order, harmony -

And, above all, creativity. A creative future for us all..

[I will be writing a more specific paper on developments, as I see them, within the Asia Pacific soon].

No comments:

Post a Comment